The beginnings of this school are to be found in 1833, in the Lazaro-Otetelişanu boarding school for girls; historically, it is the first school for girls in the Romanian Principalities. The establishment of this boarding school is due to the educational development in Oltenia after the enactment of the Organic Law. The school came into being before other similar institutions in the Romanian Principalities. The initiative for this school is to be found in the enlightened mind of Justice Iordache Otetelişanu, a great patriot and lover of the national culture. With his own financial means, but also with the material support of boyar Constantin Lazaro, who offered the school the houses inherited from his wife, Zoiţa Pâşcoveanca, he founded the "Lazaro-Otetelişanu Girls’ Boarding School" in 1833.This school was intended to be a girls’ boarding school, taking its name after the Western model of “girls’ finishing school”. The girl students in this school had to know how to read and write in a foreign language.
In fact, from 1860, the boarding school goes under state care, being put under the control and supervision of a Committee, as had been decided by Chamber vote on the 4th of August 1860.
During this time, the school works with six grades: four lower and two upper. As can be seen in a studies program from 1861, the school teaches the following subjects: Romanian language, Religion, History, Geography, Arts, Calligraphy, Handwork, Physics, Natural Sciences, Cosmography.
The name of the school is changed again in 1883, when it becomes “Educational Institute for Girls”. In 1891, the Institute adds a primary school. After 1860 it becomes a state school and the trend was not only to develop the secondary education for girls, but also to prepare valuable assets for the primary education.
Starting with 1959, the institution changes its name to No. 3 Secondary School, until 1966, when it becomes a mixed school, educating for the first time not only girls, but also boys. Between 1966 and 1976, the school is named “No. 3 High School” and then, between 1977 and 1989, it is called the Philology-History High School. In 1990 the school goes back to its traditional name, “Elena Cuza High School”, and from 1998 it receives the current name,
“Elena Cuza National College”.
Throughout its existence, the school’s main objective for its students has been the learning of a foreign language, especially until 1944 and between 1970 and 1975, when all the subjects were taught in French. This characteristic feature has been maintained and in recent years the school has been permanently working with philology-bilingual classes in French, English, German and Spanish. Also several foreign lectors, native speakers of the above mentioned languages, have taught classes after coming to work at our school through various European programs.

Last Updated (Wednesday, 12 October 2011 05:09)

 
Română (România)French (Fr)Español(Spanish Formal International)Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)English (United Kingdom)